Broken with Camtasia 2020

Camtasia 2020 just released. Xsplit VCAM no longer shows up as an option to use as a webcam. It worked fine in version 2019.

I have experienced the same issue. I have a ticket open with TechSmith.

Confirmation from TechSmith that virtual webcams are not supported and were never officially supported. Changes to the new software took away the virtual webcam support and will not be addressed for some time.

1 Like

Does VCam only stopped working on Camtasia? How about on other applications?

VCAM works with everything else. It’s just the new version of Camtasia. Looks like it’s not something VCAM can fix. Camtasia changed the way they work with webcams and no longer works with software webcams like VCAM.

Hi all! VCam 2.0 Beta installer is now available for download -> VCam 2.0 Beta is here! 2x Improved AI / Hardware Driver Installation / Image and Video Background Configuration

For those who have issues with applications not discovering VCam as a camera, please try to install the hardware driver.
20200619_222153

Note:

If you want to install VCam 2.0 hardware driver, we recommend uninstalling 1.2 version first before installing the hardware driver. Uninstalling 1.2 will unregister the virtual camera for 1.2 version and ensure that 1.2’s virtual camera won’t be enumerated as an available camera in applications.

1 Like

I did not expect the fix to Camtasia’s problem to come from XSplit! This is a terrific first step!

I tried it out with the Camtasia recorder briefly. The first thing that I noticed is that the remove background setting does not work. If I do a replacement background with media, it will show in Camtasia recorder. If I use remove background in VCam, Camtasia recorder sees the actual camera feed.

Two more comments.

1. Of course, since the driver is no longer virtual, VCam no longer works with Logitech Capture.

2. Workaround with Camtasia is that in Vcam, I replace the background with a JPG green screen, and then remove that color in Camtasia.

If I use remove background in VCam, Camtasia recorder sees the actual camera feed.

VCam supports two mediaformats. RGB24 and ARGB32, so if it shows the original feed then it would seem like Camtasia connects to ARGB32 color format, but then just render as RGB and ignores the alpha channel (that is why you see original). If it would have connected to RGB24 then it would have shown black where there is fully transparent since we pre-multipi the RGB with alpha channel value when apps connect to RGB24 and user select remove function.

Yap, that is a bit of a bummer, but we will try to get that sorted with Logitech