Getting Started & FAQ's - New to Broadcaster? Start Here!

If you’re new to the app then this is a great place to hang out! Talk about all things XSplit Broadcaster. From setting up a simple scene to utilizing the super-powerful sources and extensions.

Getting Started

Note: Please check them out first before creating a thread since there’s a good chance your question is answered in any of those pages.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

FAQ: Can I create a slideshow using multiple images?

Yes, you create create a slideshow using multiple images by utilizing the Image Slideshow plugin.

To do this, simply click Add Source from the sources section in the bottom left. Add Source > Other > Image Slideshow...

Once added, click Add and choose the images you want to display in the slideshow. Optionally, you may also choose the transition, if you want it to loop, how long between each image and more.

Once done, click Ok to save it. You should now see the slideshow in your scene.

FAQ: Why is a video file I’ve added blank or isn’t added at all?

If this issue occurs when trying to add a video file to your scene, try the following:

1. Go to Tools > Settings and on the Advanced tab, uncheck Use hardware acceleration for video playback

1. Go to Tools > Settings and on the Advanced tab, select Prefer GPU for video processing

FAQ: How can I capture browser games or games with web-based apps?

Since Game Capture only works on OpenGL and DirectX games, you will need to use Screen Capture on your browser or web-based game client to add it as a source.

If you are capturing Google Chrome, you will need need to make sure the Exclusive Window Capture option is checked.

Some games with web-based clients such as Magic The Gathering: Online may require you to disable Exclusive Window Capture

FAQ: How can I fix getting stuck at “Checking outputs…”?

If you are stuck at “Checking outputs…” while loading XSplit Broadcaster, try the following:

1. Hold down the Shift key whilst logging in to XSplit Broadcaster and when prompted, select Create a new presentation

• Close XSplit Broadcaster and then open your File Explorer and go to: C:\ProgramData\SplitmediaLabs\XSplit
  • Rename your db folder to something else and then re-open XSplit Broadcaster

rename-db

We recommend renaming the db folder to something easy to remember like db-backup.

Please note: The ProgramData folder is hidden by default and you may need to enable show hidden files in your Windows folder options.

FAQ: How can I broadcast to a streaming platform that is not available as an output?

Livestreaming platforms not listed in the Outputs can still be used as long as they support RTMP by using the Custom RTMP option.

To set up a Custom RTMP output, go to Outputs > Set up a new output , then click Custom RTMP .

On the Custom RTMP Properties window, enter your stream details - most importantly the RTMP URL and Stream Name .

You can often find the RTMP URL and Stream Name under the profile or channel settings of your preferred livestreaming platform.

These details can sometimes be found under different names. For example, RTMP URL can be called Ingest Server or Stream URL while the Stream Name is usually called Stream Key.

Once you are done filling out the details, click OK to save your Custom RTMP profile.

You’ll be able to start livestreaming with it by going to Outputs then clicking the new Custom RTMP profile you have created.

FAQ: How can I redeem my license key on XSplit Broadcaster?

1. Click on Help and select Redeem gift certificate…

2. Enter the license key code then click CONTINUE .

3. Click YES to redeem your license key code.

A message will appear confirming your license key has been redeemed. You may have to log out from the application and log back in to refresh your license status. Alternatively, you can also redeem your license key code here.

FAQ: How do I capture the League of Legends lobby?

After an update, the League of Legends(LoL) game lobby now runs on a web-based client which cannot be captured using Game capture.

As a workaround, use Screen capture on the LoL game lobby then add a Game capture > Auto Detect source on top of it to capture the in-game client.

This way, you’ll be able to record or stream the game lobby and automatically switch to the main game when you start playing.

FAQ: Why is my microphone volume low in my streams or recordings?

Volume levels may vary depending on the microphone used and the recording environment.

To accommodate this, you can increase the volume range for both your System Sound and Microphone up to 300% by going to Tools > Settings and clicking the Audio tab.

The boosted volume levels will be shown in blue on your stage audio controls. You can right-click on any of the volume bars to automatically reset them to 100%.

FAQ: How can I add my IP camera as a source?

You can add your IP camera by going to Sources > Streams then click IP Camera (RTSP)…

You will be prompted to enter your IP camera’s RTSP URL :

RTSP URL Format

While only the RTSP URL is required for adding the IP camera source, the formatting of the URL will be different from model to model.

The common format of the RTSP URL is:

rtsp://[username:password@]ip_address[:rtsp_port]/server_URL[[?param1=val1[¶m2=val2]...[¶mN=valN]]

Parameters of the RTSP URL (and optional parameters in brackets) are as follows:

(Note that in most cases, the word server can be freely interchanged with the words IP camera as every IP camera has an RTSP server built in.)

ip_address

Typically, the RTSP servers use DHCP to obtain an IP address automatically. The servers usually provide a utility for detecting the server’s IP address. This can be in the usual IPv4 format (xx.xx.xx.xx), or it can be a valid host address accepted by the standard function inet_addr.

For example, localhost is equivalent to 127.0.0.1. This is usually the IP address of the sending (server) computer.

rtsp_port (Optional)
The port number on which the server is listening for RTSP commands. The port must be a number from 1 to 65535.

Port 554 is the default for RTSP.

username / password (Optional)
For servers that use authentication, you will need to add your username and a password as part of the RTSP URL.

server_URL Each RTSP server has its own relative server URL, so you need to consult the server’s manual to obtain it.

paramN=valN (Optional)
Extra parameters on this context are server parameters which can be used to control compression, video size, etc. See the following examples for such parameters

Example RTSP URLs

(These examples are here to merely show the possible formatting for the RTSP URLs. They will not work for testing RTSP sources.)

Panasonic IP camera example:

rtsp://192.168.1.111/MediaInput/h264

Sony IP camera example:

rtsp://192.168.1.111:554/media/video1

Axis IP camera example (H264/AAC codecs used):

rtsp://root:password@192.168.1.111:554/axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=h264&audiocodec=aac

Axis IP camera example (MJPEG/G711 codecs used):

rtsp://root:password@192.168.1.111:554/axis-media/media.amp?videocodec=jpeg&audiocodec=g711

XSplit Broadcaster also supports the special parameter \rtsp_transport:udp to force the connection mode to UDP instead of the default (and recommended) TCP.

Axis IP camera example (UDP connection):

rtsp://root:password@192.168.1.111:554/axis-media/media.amp?\rtsp_transport:udp

Soleratec.com has a database of IP cameras and their RTSP URLs.

FAQ: Can I use XSplit Broadcaster on my Mac?

Unfortunately not, XSplit Broadcaster is currently Windows only.

As a workaround, you can use Boot Camp to install Windows on your Mac to be able to install and use XSplit Broadcaster.

You can learn more about Boot Camp by clicking here.

FAQ: How do I fix the black screen issue when capturing my PS4 through my capture card?

In order to capture gameplay footage from a PlayStation 4 console using your capture card, you will need to disable HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

To disable HDCP on your PS4, go to Settings > System then uncheck Enable HDCP .

FAQ: How do I properly screen capture an application like Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Word?

If you are having issues properly capturing an application with Screen Capture, right-click on the it and uncheck Exclusive Window Capture .

FAQ: How can I capture gameplay using BlueStacks 3?

XSplit Broadcaster allows you to directly capture gameplay from BlueStacks 3 to record or stream to the streaming platform of your choice.

Capturing gameplay from BlueStacks 3:

1. On BlueStacks 3 : Go to Settings and select the Engine tab and take note of your graphics mode settings.
    XSplit Broadcaster works on both DirectX and OpenGL graphics modes.
    For laptop users, selecting DirectX may give better performance.

1. On XSplit Broadcaster : Go to Sources > Game capture , then select BlueStacks (DX11) or BlueStacks (OpenGL) depending on the engine settings you have chosen on BlueStacks 3 .
    Selecting BlueStacks (DX9Ex) captures the BlueStacks 3 launcher instead of the gameplay.

1. Launch a game in BlueStacks 3 and start streaming or recording.

FAQ: How do I make a video playlist?

You can add multiple videos in a source via the Video Playlist plugin.
Click on Add source > General Widgets > Video Playlist…

The Video Playlist source properties window will appear. Click on Add and select the video files that you want to add into your playlist.

When you are done, click Ok to save. If you like to know more about the Video Playlist source, click here.

FAQ: How do I setup a stream delay?

You can setup a stream delay for your streaming Outputs to avoid stream-sniping / ghosting , so opponents couldn’t get an unfair advantage over you by viewing your stream.

The Enable Stream Delay option can be found under all streaming Output plugins as shown here:

The stream delay set will not determine the exact delay for all your viewers - transcoding, transportation delay, etc. also come into factor.

FAQ: How do I setup and use the NVENC encoder settings?

As of XSplit Broadcaster 3.7, the NVENC H.264 codec has been updated to allow users to enable advanced features and settings based on Nvidia’s recommendations.

On your broadcast output properties, select NVENC H.264 under Video Encoding properties then click the gear icon on the right.
The available options for you to use will be different depending on the type of broadcast output your are using.

For most broadcast outputs such as Facebook Live , YouTube Live and Twitch - the available settings will be like this:

For Custom RTMP and Local Streaming outputs, these options will be available:

Enable Look-ahead

Can improve your stream’s visual quality by buffering a specified number of frames in memory to optimize the encoding of the current frame. Note that enabling this will add a bit of latency to your final output and it can also be detrimental to high-motion games such as first-person shooters.

Use 2-Pass Encoding

Improves stream’s visual quality by estimating the complexity of the frame to be encoded and determines bit distribution first, then encodes the frame after in a second pass using the distribution determined in the first pass. Disabled, estimation and encoding happens in one pass. Note that enabling this would add a bit of latency to the final output of the stream.

Use Adaptive Quantization

Improves subjective visual quality by automatically adjusting the how the encoder compresses different portions of a frame based on the type on content in them or beside them. This should have no impact on performance but if users experience any issues, they may disable the option.

FAQ: How do I recover lost presentations?

XSplit Broadcaster automatically saves backups of your presentations in case you forgot to save them before exitting the application or if it accidentally closes.

You’ll be able to load these presentation files by following these steps:

1. Go to File then hold down the SHIFT key while selecting Load Presentation…

1. Choose Load a previous system backed up presentation .

You’ll be able to select a presentation from the drop-down that you wish to recover.

1. Once you’ve selected a presentation, click Continue .

These system backed up .bpres Presentation files can be found in C:\ProgramData\SplitMediaLabs\XSplit\Presentation2.0 .

Note that the ProgramData folder is hidden by default and you may need to enable show hidden files in your Windows Folder Options.