Top 5 games of all time?

The title says it all, what does your top 5 list look like.

Here’s mine based on the games I’ve played the most, nostalgia and generally got involved with a lot

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Promod on PC
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  3. GTA: San Andreas (SA-MP - Multiplayer mod)
  4. World of Warcraft
  5. Timesplitters 2 / Future Perfect

Honerable Mentions: Minecraft, Destiny 2, Age of Empires II

Just noting, I’m not much of a single player person myself. Pretty much all of the games above are based on multiplayer experiences

2 Likes

I’m a filthy casual and this was ridiculously hard because some are from yearly franchises but here we go:

1. Gran Turismo Sport (fully love Sport now, but I still miss 4’s cars and tracks)
  2. J.League Winning Eleven 2010 Club Championship
  3. Skate 2 (Session/Skater XL a nice update but they’re not gonna steal the special place S2 has)
  4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  5. Yakuza (0 if I had to pick one atm)

1- Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, it’s rare 2 games can be of equal quality but this is definitely an exception
2- Okami. Nothing else like it visually. Zelda-like. I understand pacing is an issue but I can overlook it
3- Batman Arkham. Best action & superhero games out there. Any of three are prime candidates (yes even Knight, sorry folks…)
4- CoD MW2 or BO2 (nostalgia is too strong, cant make a rational decision)
5- Borderlands 2. Shiny loot & explosions for that dopamine hit. Art is hit or miss for some but 10/10 for me.

Honorable mentions: WoW / Persona 5 / Smash Bros

I’m almost the complete opposite, with most of my games being single player or coop stuff so here are my top five with that in mind:

1. Fallout 2 - Great game, if you’ve finished it already, play it again with 0 intelligence.
  2. Company of Heroes 2 - Best developed RTS of all time, hampered by being one of the first games to have IAP, which resulted into a lot of people not giving it a try.
  3. SW: KOTOR - Spawned an entire generation of games that tried to emulate it, from Fable, to Mass Effect. Still one of the best in my opinion.
  4. Witcher 3 - Solidified CDPR’s rep as one of the best modern game developers. Would probably be replaced by Cyberpunk once that is released
  5. Snake - Classic game, probably the first game I ever got addicted to.

Honorable Mentions: Diablo 2, Kingdom of Amalur, Hollow Knight, MGS2

You like the 2’s aye…well except from Witcher

All time Top 5? Probably looks something like this:

5) Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3
4) Max Payne
3) Grim Fandango
2) Half-Life
1) Silent Hill 2

As of Right Now…

1. Minecraft
  2. Overwatch
  3. Metal Gear Solid
  4. Shenmue
  5. Halo: CE
1 Like

My criteria is based on that if I were to be stuck with 5 games forever it would be these:

1. Planescape: Torment
  2. Disco Elysium
  3. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (original SNES version)
  4. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
  5. Minecraft
1 Like

Not super-final, but for now:

1. Gradius :100: - well this one is super-final!
  2. Minecraft
  3. Left 4 Dead 1 - failed a subject in college for this :slightly_frowning_face:
  4. Overwatch / Borderlands 2 / Killing Floor 1
  5. Binding of Isaac - It’s evil :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
1 Like

My top 5 games: (in no particular order)

1. Chrono Cross (PS1)
  2. Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
  3. Castlevania SOTN (PS1)
  4. Parasite Eve (PS1)
  5. Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue (PS1)

At the top of my head, I can only name most as series/franchise:

Street Fighter
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Ace Combat
Suikoden

Honorable mentions (specific titles): Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions, Vanillaware games (Dragon’s Crown, Odin’s Sphere, Muramasa), Call of Duty: MW, Supergiant Games (Bastion, Transistor), Dungeons & Dragons Shadows Over Mystara, Fire Emblem: The Three Houses, Persona 5, Atelier Ryza, Deathsmiles, Front Mission 3, Armored Core 4 Answer, Demon’s Souls, Splatoon 2

As of now…

Tekken 7
Monster Hunter World
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3 PS2
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Dota 2 / LoL

Out of date but here is mine:

1. Ragnarok
  2. Star Craft
  3. Battle Realms
  4. Counter Strike 1.6
  5. Dota

In no particular order:

1. NBA Live 06 - Probably tied to me being a basketball junkie more than anything. I was also pretty darn good here imho. No one in school could beat around that time too.
  2. NBA 2K14 - One of the first NBA 2K’s I’ve played. I wasn’t as good as the above here but I quite enjoyed it.
  3. Rocketleague - It had some basketball in it lol but otherwise it’s a nice one. Played against some others online but I totally totally just suck here.
  4. Armed and Dangerous - An old PC game but I very much liked the CD cover at the time and I like robots and shit. I recall you are also so goddamn powerful in this game it’s possible to not finish it.
  5. Metal Gear Solid - Snake!!! Nostalgia man.

Honorable mentions: Marvel Super Heroes, Monkey Magic, Twisted Metal, WWE Smackdown: Here comes the pain

In fairness, had completely forgotten about sports games. Used to play FIFA religously, I also remember loving WWF Smackdown in the PS1.

Lol I edited my post and added Smackdown since I played that a lot too (the PS2 game though).

Ridiculously hard to pick a sports game because they come at different points in life :rofl:

Like there’s a soft spot for the first ones I played seriously (FIFA 06 and PES 5)

Then there’s the mid-00s high point for both (FIFA 12 and PES 2012) just because they were peaking on the engines then, the leap to next-gen would see both stumble and generally 11/12 season squads were really lit. Also the realistic FIFA Street came out in this gen

The current gens are all just muddled by the FUT/myClub pandering so offline mode’s been pretty ignored on both. Can’t remember the last time I enjoyed the new ones without getting frustrated about something but the story modes in the new FIFAs were nice at least.

Then there’s the Japan-exclusive Winning Elevens of the mid-00s, which is the closest Konami got to a FIFA level of authenticity because it’s the J.League

To be honest, yeah. I also played PES around the 05 period too I think and also a lesser known game, This is Football 2003 (TIF). Been playing Football (Soccer) games since Fifa 96. Goooood times.

1. Bloodborne: The Old Hunters
  2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  3. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  4. Armored Core: For Answer
  5. Planescape: Torment

My big takeaway is…that’s a lot of colons.

My top 5 games of all time should probably be:

1. Bioshock
  2. Devil May Cry 5
  3. Black ops 2 (Zombies)
  4. VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
  5. Neko Paradise