VCam is suddenly cropping backgrounds instead of stretching

VCam used to stretch backgrounds to fit. Now it’s suddenly cropping them - I assume after an update. I cannot find a setting to correct this. Cropping is NOT ok. Half my backgrounds are useless now. Please fix this or add a setting for it.

Hi there, could you provide screenshot of the VCam app showing the said issue? Have you also tried reinstalling VCam to rule out corrupted files/installation?

Here’s a screenshot. In the list of backgrounds on the right, the image appears stretched as before. But in the actual background, the image is now cropped and can no longer be read as part of the writing is off the screen. I have hundreds of backgrounds that work fine when stretched, but not when cropped. Please either revert back to stretching or add a checkbox to select Stretch or Crop.

CroppedImage

Does it happen on all images? Like the default background images or unsplash images in VCam? If not, can you send me the background image you have tried that has this issue.

Every image, no exceptions. I just loaded up a bunch of square images to be sure. The list of images on the right always shows the images properly stretched while the active background image gets cropped. Previously vcam would stretch them to fit, thus the preview images would match the active background images as expected.

Is this not happening to you with the latest release? How could something on my system cause this? I have rebooted. And just to be sure it wasn’t something weird with drivers, I tried upgrading my Nvidia drivers to the latest as well. No change. I also tried gifs and jpgs - same result.

I have now also removed and then re-installed vcam - the problem persists.

Hi! When adding a background image (in the latest front-end version), VCam sets the correct resolution, and adjusts the scaling so it’s not stretched and no spaces on the sides or top and bottom. But we are working on an option to allow adjusting the image background layout, so you can zoom, pan and tilt.

I am aware of this change. It rendered half my backgrounds useless, as demonstrated above. When will you allow for the turning off of this new “feature”? I was fine with images being stretched. If I wanted them cropped, I would crop them myself!

So I found I still had a version of Vcam I downloaded on April 2. I installed this version and, of course, images work properly, as expected. Unfortunately, the old version insists on displaying a watermark that says “Please update to latest version of Xsplit VCam”, thus rendering the older version unusable. If I log in, it requires I update to remove the watermark. So the current version is broken and the old version, which otherwise works, cannot be used due to the watermark. This is really bad. Why are you doing this? At least let me use an old version if you are not going to fix the new one!

VcamWatermark

Hi @lunatic, option to fit image to frame will be ready within the week. We will share the installer to you once it’s ready.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks much.

@lunatic, We have some blocking issues for the version that includes the fit/stretch to frame option. We’re actively working on the fixes and will make sure to send you the installer when it has passed QA.

@lunatic We’ve just rolled out our 2.0 Beta version with the option to keep aspect ratio for image and video backgrounds :). Disabling this option should stretch the background to fit the frame.

You can find the 2.0 installer here VCam 2.0 Beta is here! 2x Improved AI / Hardware Driver Installation / Image and Video Background Configuration.

Thanks. The aspect ratio button does indeed work. However - something else has been broken in this beta - it no longer works with a lenscap on the camera. Here is a sample of random blobs that appear over any image I use. Normally with a cover over the lens, the background shows without obstruction. Now there is a random black blob. The shape of the black blob changes every time I click the refresh icon. So the very message I used in the above example - the “goodbye” message with the lens cover on - no longer gets cut off by the edges but instead has a black blob over it. Is there a setting that will fix this? I unchecked chair removal since I don’t have a chair, but that did not help.
vcamblotch

I guess you were lucky before, it was never intended to be used lens cap :wink: We now have a new model and that might do something different when seeing black with maybe a little light. So in other words then we probably cannot do anything about this issue.

“So in other words then we probably cannot do anything about this issue.”

Then please let us use the April release! I had ZERO issues with the April release. I don’t understand why you are ok with breaking things that used to work.

Note also that it’s not just when the lens cap is on - if I walk away from the computer the background used to appear perfectly. In the beta now random black blobs appear over the background when I walk away. This is not ok. You are going backwards. Please allow us to continue to use the April release.