VCam shows up as URL only in OBS

Hi,

I am using VCam (trial) with my iPad and PC (Windows 8). In the desktop VCam app the connection works, meaning, I can see the video footage from my iPad streaming to the VCam program on my desktop. I am logged in (desktop, ipad).

Unfortunately, when I select VCam as the ‘Video Capture Device’ in OBS, the overlay in OBS where the VCam footage SHOULD appear just shows the VCam logo with the VCam url below it.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong please?

Hello there, this could be due to the feed not working on VCam. That’s why it shows the default image on OBS when being added.

Could you send us a screenshot of what you see on your VCam app? To confirm if correct feed is showing there?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. @Moriones .

This forum won’t allow me to share images nor links. But I can assure you that the footage in VCam is what it should be - me.

For what it’s worth - I downloaded Skype on my desktop and when I select VCam as the video source it also shows the default VCam image, albeit horizontally mirrored, rather than the live video feed that VCam itself shows.

So VCam is receiving the correct video signal from my iPad, but it’s outputting the wrong video feed. I do not see any settings on how to debug or config this further. Any ideas please?

Thank you

Sorry to hear that the issue persists, could you provide us a screenshot of what you see on your VCam app?

And, can you delete the cefcache folder found here C:\ProgramData\SplitMediaLabs\XSplit VCam? Make sure that XSplit VCam is closed when doing this.

hi @Moriones, I don’t see that dir, nor any such folder in the “Program Files” or “Program Files (x86)” folders.

Here’s what I see in VCam: vcam2

And here’s the window that’s shown in OBS: vcam

Thank you

Hi @appl3s,

The issue happens in VCam versions that uses the DirectShow filter. VCam uses DirectShow filter for Windows 8.1 and below.

Apologies, VCam may still work on Windows 8.1 and below, but we no longer officially support these OS.

hi @cheesyrambo, thank you very much for the reply.

I don’t mean to be rude, but your reply left me more confused than I was to start with. :slight_smile: Most of these apps that allow me to stream from a phone/tablet to PC make it quite clear that they only work on Win 10. Yours does not. So I was naturally left with the impression it would not be an issue. After extensive googling I still see no mention of any such restriction.

To complicate things, you’re telling me that “VCam may still work on Windows 8.1 and below” but at the same time saying it doesn’t (and/or clearly it doesn’t).

So I’m not really sure what to do at this point other than look at similar programs from other companies. That’s disappointing because I really appreciate that you are a) financially supporting OBS b) offer other tools that will help me down the road.

But I don’t really see any other option… :frowning:

Sorry for the confusion @appl3s.
Our developers said that this is an issue with Directshow Filter. But VCam no longer supports Windows 8.1 and below (where VCam uses Directshow). :frowning:
I’ll make sure to correctly indicate the minimum Windows OS where we can use Connect app in VCam. Thanks for pointing this out and apologies again